Saturday, August 28, 2010

First Blog

        Well, this has been an interesting year... I worked way too much last winter, took a Level 1 Avalanche course, helped make an amazing ski & snowboard movie with Unified Productions, went to Alaska for a few weeks to visit friends and to see Arctic Man, then I blew out my knee, rafted the Illinois River, drove a moving van from Texas to Oregon (I drove 5000 miles in 6 weeks mostly in AK and the drive back from TX), had knee surgery June 30th, and now I am trying to get my knee back in shape for this winter while driving busses and answering phones at AllStar Rafting, and I just got back from my grandpas memorial service in Portland.   
        It has been a difficult summer, I missed more then a month of the season after knee surgery, I cant guide this season, I miss being on the water, but I am grateful to have a job, even if I have spent most of the summer driving a bus.  But that is all coming to an end, the fall is coming early and the rafting season is about to end real quick.  Now its time for bigger and better things.

        Its time to make another movie!  I have had the fortune of being asked to help make a fly fishing movie.  We are going to follow steelhead trout around the Northwest.  We will be fishing in OR, WA and BC.  In Oregon we are going to be fishing on the Deschutes, Clear Water, Imnaha, and the Grande Ronde.  In Washington we will be fishing the Skagit, Sauk, and the Stillaguamish.  In British Columbia we will be fishing on the Kispiox, Babine, Skeena.  We have already started shooting video on the Deschutes River around Maupin, OR.  We have around 5 days so far and there has been a lot of casting, and the steelhead have rolled a few times, but it the late August lull in fishing, the steelhead are waiting for the water to cool down before they keep coming upstream.  We also had some big fires around the river that closed a major fishing section of the river pushing everyone into the same area, it was really crowded on the lower river.
        This movie is just a fishing movie, it is about the journey of the fishermen, the personal and group journey.  Each person is going to have good days and bad days, the group will have it's highs and its lows.  We will be traveling around in a few trucks with a trailer, so it is going to be tight quarters.  We are still in the planning stage of this movie, but we also live on the Deschutes River, so we can also go fishing a lot.  We still have a lot of planning to do, but so many things are falling into place, as far as I can see, and feel there is no reason not to make this movie... So we are!  And if we get lucky we might even catch some fish!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment